Thursday, September 8, 2016

Little Nemo - Winsor McCay


For this week's blog I read a few different Little Nemo comic strips, including the one above. Little Nemo is a comic strip where each strip is a different dream adventure of the child, Nemo. Each strip is him sleeping where he dreams of a new adventure often a cosmic one. I feel with the name of the main character and title called "Little Nemo" it is inspired by the classic hero, Captain Nemo and his adventures. I believe the main question McCay had was "What would Nemo have been like as a child?" or "What would he dream of?". Possibly, these questions were the inspiration for Little Nemo.   Each comic strip serve a self contained story and even end in the same way (at least I've read so far). The ending is my favorite part. Each strip always ends with Nemo falling down in his adventure, whether he is falling through space or falling of his gladiatorial horse. When he falls down in his dream, he is actually falling down in real life off his bed. That ends the story of the comic strip. I love that unity of the strips. Even only reading a few strips, every time I see Nemo falling in some way I know that it is the end of the strip and this adventure. One thing I liked in the comic strip above which I read is that the color scheme is really simple. It is really only black and white with the inclusion of a few shades of orange as an accent color. I myself really like those colors together, so it was nice to look out. Not all the comic strips keep with that formula. The way newspapers were made could have changed that and made way for new opportunities to print color. Either way Little Nemo was a really fun read especially if you read a few of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment