Monday, November 14, 2016

Batman: The Killing Joke - Alan Moore



       My reaction to the text of the Killing Joke is that I loved it. It is so intellectual and asks so many questions. Does it really just take one bad day to turn person mad? I believe that is true in certain people's situations, but in others there are people who can overcome tragedy. In the novel, Gordon still was sane and had his mind focused on abiding the law, even though Joker tortured him beyond believe. I love Batman's speech at the beginning and at the end. It shows how connected these two characters are, the Joker and him. It also shows how he still is a hero, because in the end he still just wants to help him. The end joke is also a sweet moment with Batman laughing at Joker's joke. Very climatic and symbolic.
        Connections may seem hard to make in a Batman graphic novel, but there is a lot to be made. I can connect with the fact that I've had really bad days and thought to myself I may be crazy at the end of it. Joker went crazy because his wife was killed then that very night he fell into acid and his face was disfigured. I've had days of tragedies where loved ones have passed and even days where physically I was hurt by a car accident or even jumping of a golf cart. We've all had bad days and it is what we do after them that defines our character, even sanity.
          I really enjoy the medium this story is in, but if I had to adapt it into another medium it would be a live-action movie. I believe an animated movie would be too similar and not add enough to enhance this story. I have fortunately seen the animated movie attempt of this story and it didn't enhance it enough. Seeing this story in live-action in itself would be a big thing to enhance and change the story. I would add little more details here and there maybe how Batman locked Joker up in the first place. Either way I really enjoy the story the way it is, in the medium selected.      
     

No comments:

Post a Comment